Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Timing

This past week I've been finishing an adaption of a Tim Winton short story for The Turning, a portmanteau feature film project I'm involved in. The Turning, produced by Rob Connolly, has a number of different directors freely adapting the short stories that make up the novel-like collection published under the same name. One of the key images within the particular story that I'm directing is of a woman who has gassed herself in her car, leaving behind her husband and child. I spent some time trying to think of ways to imagine this scene that did not feel familiar or already overcooked by so many films that have come before. While I dribbled on my keyboard and procrastinated, I was sent a link to a collection of Michael Wolf's photographs called Tokyo Compression, which, although taken in the very public intimacy of the Tokyo subways, immediately refracted this key image of the film back to me in precisely the way I needed to see it. Thank you world and your strange sense of timing.





All images above by Michael Wolf. Visit his website for more extraordinary collections.

No comments: